Saturday, September 3, 2011

Message from BSA International Executive

From: Phu Tran <Phu.Tran@scouting.org>
Date: September 3, 2011
Cc: Lisa Cristiano <Lisa.Cristiano@scouting.org>
Subject: Information for Council International Representatives

Hello Council International Representatives,

I'm Phu Tran, International Executive for BSA National Council, a new member of the BSA International Department. I will be working with Council International Representatives. I'd like to introduce myself.

I am a professional staff member from a local council in San Jose, California. I started my Scouting journey as a Venturer in a refugee camp in Indonesia. I moved to Canada, where I was a Scouting volunteer for nine years. I came to the USA ten years ago, and I was active in local units in Dallas. Because I was scouting so much, pretty much all my free time, I decided to work for BSA nine years ago. I am still actively involved in many Scouting functions as a volunteer. Scouting has made me who I am today, through my years in the refugee camp and adulthood. My passion for Scouting urges me to do more for our Scouts, so they have the same opportunities I had, and more. I look forward to helping International Representatives (IR's) and Scouters bring memorable and life-changing experiences to our Scouts. I know we will learn much from each other. I want to tell you about an upcoming event and also about how we are improving our communications:

1. Moot Invitation: The International Department is forming a BSA contingent that will go to Panama for XIX Central American Moot in January 2012. We are looking for youth nominations from local councils. Please use this form for youth nominations (fillable PDF file). Here are more details on the event:

XIX Central America Moot Country/Location: Panama
Dates: January 3 -9, 2012
BSA Contingent's Get-together Date: January 2
Contingent Size: 16 members
Web Site: www.mootcentroamericano2012.com
Cost: $1800 (includes travel, lodging, food, event fee, tent, patches, bags and more fun!!)
Deadline for nominations: September 19, 2011
Age Requirements: Moot is an international event for Rover Scouts from 17 to 24 years old.
Please nominate Boy Scouts and Venturers who are in this age range.

2. Yahoo Group: To communicate more efficiently, we are building a Yahoo email group for IR's. As an IR, you do not need to do anything to register in this Yahoo email group. Your email address is being added to the group. You will receive a notification from our Yahoo group that your email address has been added to the group. Please be on the lookout for email that I send you and members of the International Scouting Yahoo group with specific international information and newsletters.

3. Facebook: The BSA International Program has a Facebook page. Become a fan to receive information automatically through Facebook. Here is a link to the BSA International Program Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/BSA-International-Program/202254869829537?sk=wall

To receive info from our page, click the Like button at the top of the page. That will make you a fan, and you will receive new posts on the BSA International Program page.

I am looking forward to hearing back from you and receiving your nominations for the Panama trip. I have sent this message to 230 International Representatives, and many are responding, so please give me a few days to get back to you. I will try to get the important information out to you before it is too late, and I will respond to your inquiries as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding! Thank you for your time and for what you do for the youth in your council!

Have a great Labor Day weekend with your family and friends!

Yours in Scouting and Service,

Phu Tran | International Executive
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA
International
1325 West Walnut Hill Lane | PO Box 152079
Irving, Texas 75015-2079
P: 972.580.2403
| F: 972.580.2413
phu.tran@scouting.org
www.scouting.org/international